what you need to know about the inner lives of men
Chapter 7 - Chocolate, Flowers, Bait FishingWhy the Reluctant Clod You Know Really Does Want Romance*
1. "I won't do a very good job" - the risks of humiliation
2. Haunted by romantic failure - or being unable to top the last success
3. It's difficult to change gears from job and responsibility to romance
Then she explored how there is or can be a difference in definition of romance between men and women, because
1. Playing together is romantic for many men - so that game of golf or bushwalk he suggests may be his idea of romance.
2. Romance without sex may not feel complete - it's viewed as all part of the experience.
So, our response?
1. Encourage - all efforts at romance, and go along with suggestions to play together
2. Entice him - make him want to pursue you romantically
3. Drop hints, let you know what you would like and find romantic
4. Keep him number one - this includes #1 over the kids, give him time too.
Some things to think about:
- What types of things do you find romantic - candlelit dinner or outdoor activities? Or something else? Have you told you wife?
- Are you afraid to organise romantic events, for fear of failure? Chances are, your wife would love it if you tried.
- Can you identify the things your husband finds romantic?
- Are you enabling him to do those things?
Next time: Part 9 - how we look
* these are her titles and subtitles - not mine!