Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Local wildlife

When I was a kid living in the USA, locals used to think that in Australia kangaroos hopped down all the streets and koalas lived in our backyards.

If we felt like pretending, we would encourage it: "we saw them all the time" we would say. Of course such an occurrence in our part of suburban Sydney was about as likely as an armadillo on the streets of Houston or an alligator near our house in New Orleans.

I say this to express how Adelaide still amazes me sometimes. No kangaroos down the streets, I will admit - but lots of local koalas.

As I came home on Sunday morning from a run, past the bus stop - who should be walking up the stairs but this guy?

He was stymied by the fence for a while, unsure of which way to go. For a moment I thought I might have to play a role in a koala relocation program (we were right next to a major road). But, he squeezed himself* through the bottom of the fence, a rather tight fit.

Then on to the nearest tree. And up it with speed.

We have seen koalas along the river, koalas on bushwalks, and the kids often see them at school. Never have I seen so many koalas in the wild until we moved to Adelaide.

It delighted me that I was the only person who saw him. Just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

It delighted me even more that it was the first time I have ever borrowed Husband's iPhone for a run and therefore had a camera on hand!





* Of course, I have no way of knowing whether 'he' was in fact a 'he', not being a qualified koala spotter, or vet, or zoologist.

No comments: