Monday, November 21, 2011

An old name

I have recently come to realise that I have an old name.

Just like there are very few people named Betty, Gertrude, Florence, etc in my generation, it seems the name Wendy is not being passed on to the younger generation. Growing up I always had a Wendy in my class, over 2 years my 2 best friends were Wendys (Yr 2 in Sydney, Yr 3 in Houston).

However, in about 20 years I have only ever met a handful of other Wendys and none were more than 5 years younger than me.

Admittedly, there are two significant franchises that share my name: Wendy's the fast food chain in the US (which I always loved going to as a kid) and Wendy's ice cream stores here in Australia.

I was never very impressed with the meaning of my name: 'white-browed', and my husband loves to tell me I have a made up name, created for the Wendy in Peter Pan (sort of true and sort of not).

The advantage is I am never confused with anyone - if someone calls out 'Wendy', I am pretty much guaranteed it will be for me.

However, if someone wants to know 'when' something will happen, I will invariably turn to them thinking I have been called!

Don't think I am complaining, I quite like my name. I just happened to stop and think about it.

Do you have a common name, or are you also realising yours is getting older like mine?


5 comments:

Wendy said...

How could I not comment today! The only "young" Wendy I've met was a toddler in Indonesia back when I was 20. I've thought our name meant "friendly", much nicer than "white-browed".

I personally like having a slightly unusual, yet well known name. That is the criteria we applied to our children's names too, although it hasn't totally worked as we're in a much more multicultural environment now. Our eldest's name is totally unknown to Americans, for example. But Wendy is fine, even Japanese people know it and it doesn't come out too bad in their language either.

I'm guessing that sometime in the future Wendy will make something of a resurgence. You do see some older names coming back these days.

Wendy said...

I thought I might hear from you on this one Wendy!

A quick online search suggests no-one really knows for certain what it means! Our baby name book suggested white-browed, but happy to be wrong. Myth suggests one of the ways the name developed was saying 'friendy' with a lisp "fwendy-wendy". Maybe that's where friendly comes from?!

I agree - happy with a slightly unusual but well known, easy to pronounce name!

Unknown said...

I think it's nice to have a name that isn't common.

By the way there is a Wendy Lin at Annabel's school!

Amellia

michael and karen said...

Hi Wendy - I love to read your blog but have never commented! However, you struck a chord... there are no young Karens either, we were all born in the 60's and 70's! In fact one of my Christmas talks starts with this very fact (and segues into Jesus' name and its meaning). I'm not on a coke bottle either :(

Wendy said...

Hi Karen - thanks for the comment - lovely to hear from you. And you are right about 'Karen' - I have lots of friends who are Karens, but all my age and older, not younger. I was surprised you aren't on a Coke bottle, especially considering how many Karens I know! Must be aiming for the teens/20s market. Good talk link, I'll have to remember that one.

Amellia - how cool - I should come and meet her!