Monday, October 28, 2013

AFES Wives

Last weekend was a time which I greatly enjoy and look forward to all year - the AFES Wives Conference.

Wives of Christian university student workers around the country (& workers who are wives) gather together to hear from God’s word, pray and be challenged & taught in various seminars & talks.

Over the years I have found it to be a wonderfully encouraging time, yet at the same time it is also emotionally exhausting.  It seemed especially so this year for various griefs have struck our ‘family’.  It was good to come together.

The talks on Philippians were very good and the seminars highly instructive.  I was especially challenged to think about where my heart is when I use technology, both in what I write and how I respond to what others write, which I certainly need to heed.   As with other years, a highlight was my prayer group.  Most of us have been together for 4 years now, and the opportunity to share our lives at depth and call on God in prayer was a joy and a privilege. 

The AFES community brings together a great conglomeration of women.  In all the things that don’t matter we have tremendous variety – our gifts, skills, appearance, other employment and church denomination.

Yet in the things that do matter: the gospel, and the commitment to the preaching of that gospel to university students, we are united.  I count it an ongoing privilege to be involved with these women.   

Strangely for me, I am now one of the ‘senior’ women, both in age and in time with AFES.  We have been with AFES now for 10 years, which is longer than average in student ministry.   It is a delight from year to year to see those who continue to minister with AFES and those who are new.   Sadly this year we farewelled a few too, although since they are moving on to missionary work, that’s OK – we’ll let them go!

AFES is an organisation we are proud to be a part of and we are thrilled that so many others do the same work around the country.   We are very thankful to God.
 

No comments: