Friday, October 10, 2014

Call the Midwife

Recently I finished watching the third season of Call the Midwife. I think it’s one of the best TV series I have ever seen. Based on the books by Jennifer Worth, they are a lovely insight into London’s East End in the 1950s through the eyes of Worth working as a midwife with the nuns of the Anglican convent Nonnatus House.

They are likeable and realistic characters (probably because they are based on real people!), very true-to-life birth scenes and a great insight into medical care at the time. Stories develop over the series as the nurses make friends & meet partners, and the lives of the nuns develop and change.

I recently read the first book in the series, which shows how closely the DVD series matched the stories in them.  I will try and get the other books to read on holidays.

I think I would like to own both the books and the DVDs – they make for both lovely reading and wonderful watching, and as my children get older this is a series I would happily watch with them.

I had assumed Season 3 would be the final series, the final episode definitely felt like a finale. However, apparently there is a 2014 Christmas special planned and also a Season 4 for 2015.  Some good viewing to look forward to!

2 comments:

Rachael said...

Hi Wendy, I loved this too... particularly as it had a personal element. My grandmother worked as a nurse (though not a midwife) in England during and after the war. She also, incidentally, looked remarkably like the main character (Jenny?) so it was easy to think I was watching her go about her work. Also, my Dad remembers the mid-wife arriving, on her bicycle, when his younger sister was born. So it really felt like I was watching a part of family history that has always been distant from me.

Wendy said...

That's a fantastic link Rachael! I have a dear very elderly friend here who also worked in London's East End in the 50s and her sisters were midwives there too apparently. Like living history!