Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A big trip

In April’s status report I alluded to an upcoming exciting trip.  It has been and gone (which could also explain why I completely missed May’s status report!) and so now I will tell you about it. I went to Dubai for 11 days to meet a friend, S.  She is an aid worker in a nearby country and so we decided to holiday at a location that was easy for both of us to get to.

For me, there was also the extra attraction that other old and dear friends including our lovely god-daughter also live there so I would be able to spend time with them.

We had such a wonderful time and we able to explore a city I had never been to before and did not know anything about. Some of the highlights were:
  • Spending time with S and talking about many things, important and incidental
  • Seeing our god daughter in a starring role in the musical Annie, a full proper production that we loved every minute of, and had eyes only for her whenever she was on stage
  • Catching up with our close friends who live there, and finding other old friends along the way
  • Enjoying the warm weather and beach
  • Going to the church fellowship there twice and seeing what ministry for our friends is like, and appreciating his preaching
  • Exploring a city that was entirely new to me, and seeing many interesting and amazing sights. Highlights were the tallest man-made structure in the world - the Burj Khalifa; touring the older markets including the spice souk; exploring the various parts of town - including the very rich and expensive Palm Jumeirah; and enjoying the lovely area where we were staying near the beach.
Of course such a marvellous time could not have been remotely possible without the wonderful support of Husband, who encouraged me to go, made it happen and managed everything while I was gone. It was a long time to be away from the family and we all noticed it, but it was worth it for many reasons.

No comments: