Friday, October 20, 2017

Star Wars

Does this really deserve a review 40 years after its release? In our family, yes. Not only is it a major favourite here, but Miss 10 finally watched A New Hope (the original #1) in the last week. As I mentioned in the Rogue One review - like her siblings, there was no surprise or suspense for her, having read numerous books about the episodes and played all the Lego Star Wars xBox games. This time the main difference was that when characters died, they really died, rather than breaking into re-connectable Lego pieces!

She loved it, and we quickly moved onto Empire Strikes Back and then Return of the Jedi (she watched all of them twice) I enjoyed seeing them with the fresh eyes you have when observing someone else’s first-time reaction. It’s the humour that strikes me in those movies, it remains clever, quirky and fun, and mostly driven by Harrison Ford.

She may have to wait a bit to venture into the rest of the Star Wars universe – the ratings get a bit more mature, and the graphics have caught up to look much more realistic. Although every time I watch it I am impressed by the originals from 40 years ago. With the major exceptions of all the stupid extra stuff they shoved into them in the 1990s! I keep calling out (to the annoyance of the rest of the family) – “that wasn’t in the original” when some extra bit appears. And I still cannot believe they changed the song at the end of Return of the Jedi, ‘yub nub’ was a treasure and a classic, at least in my view!

No comments: